Seeking Our Next Sacred Space
At the 18 December 2016 special meeting, the congregation voted as follows to approve the purchase of 809 South Military and to enter into a purchase and sale agreement to sell 739 South Yarmouth. The congregation also authorized the use of the endowment fund to partially fund the purchase of 809 South Military.
The next 809 South Military milestone is to close on the property in late March.
The next 739 Yarmouth milestone is completion of the inspection period in mid-April.
Motion Ballot Results
Final Vote Calculated There were 111 votes (17 absentee, 94 in attendance). In the matter of:
The Congregation hereby approves the Purchase/Sale Agreement and Lease Agreement with SABA Properties LLC for the property located at 739 Yarmouth Street” 108 voted in FAVOR, 3 AGAINST.
The Congregation hereby approves the use of the Endowment Fund for the purpose of purchasing the property owned by SKANSKA located at 809 South Military Highway.” 105 voted in FAVOR, 6 AGAINST.
The Congregation hereby approves the purchase of the property owned by SKANSKA located at 809 South Military Highway.” 106 voted in FAVOR, 5 AGAINST.
A slide show of the property as it was when we entered into the purchase and sale agreement is here.
- 809 South Military is Ours! (4/8/2017) - April Activity On March 31, Unitarian Church of Norfolk closed the sale and purchase of 809 South Military Highway, Virginia Beach, VA. Over the next few weeks, congregants will be gathering material for possible reuse or sales (networking equipment, copier-printers, office partitions, etc). In mid-April, the congregation will clean up the grounds and take out trash. … Continued
- Congratulations to US! (3/31/2017) - CONGRATULATIONS TO US! (UCN President Allen Perry [Left] shakes hands with our lawyer, David Johnson, of Virginia Beach Law Group, after closing.) I am delighted to announce that the closing went through today as expected. Together, WE are now the proud owners of 809 South Military Highway! Join us for cake in the Social Hall … Continued
- Purchase and Sale Vote Results (1/13/2017) - Final Vote Calculated There were 111 votes (17 absentee, 94 in attendance). In the matter of: The Congregation hereby approves the Purchase/Sale Agreement and Lease Agreement with SABA Properties LLC for the property located at 739 Yarmouth Street” 108 voted in FAVOR, 3 AGAINST. The Congregation hereby approves the use of the Endowment Fund for the purpose … Continued
- 18 December Special Congregational Meeting Called (12/9/2016) - Dear Congregant: The Board of Trustees of the Unitarian Church of Norfolk has voted to hold a special congregational meeting on December 18, 2016 at 12:00 p.m. At this meeting members in good standing will be asked to vote on three motions. They are as follows: The Congregation hereby approves the Purchase / Sale Agreement … Continued
- 809 South Military Purchase October Update (10/28/2016) - To every member, visitor, guest, friend and alumni of UCN: This letter is meant to provide you with an update regarding our proposed new Sacred Space. Following is an update summary followed by two exhibits for those who want more detailed background information on A) The Purchase and Sale Agreement now in effect for the … Continued
- 16 September Minister’s Moment (9/16/2016) - A Name Change Task Force has been encouraged by the board to consider a name change for our new home since the building at 809 Military Highway is not in Norfolk. In addition, now is the time to ponder a name that might be meaningful for our growing community. The task force invites members and … Continued
- 12 August Capital Campaign Update (8/20/2016) - The Capital Campaign continues to make great strides towards maxing out the generous $300,000 matching fund initiated in May. All new and paid pledges, large and small, contribute toward the success of our goal to complete this part of our campaign by New Year’s! To play your part, submit a pledge form (available in the … Continued
- 809 South Military Tours (5/31/2016) - The SST has been listening to your requests to see our future building’s interior. As you know, its current condition leaves a lot to be desired and major demolition will be required before we have the spaces which will allow it to function as a church. But for those who have a strong desire to … Continued
- Capital Campaign Matching Funds Grant (5/11/2016) - In an open letter to the congregation, President Allen Perry writes. I am excited and humbled to announce the details of our newly created Challenge Fund. As you may have heard, this incredibly generous initiative has been created and funded by long-time UCN members Jim Early and Garland Tillery in support of the Capital Campaign to … Continued
- 809 Military Progress Report (4/8/2016) - The design team and capital campaign teams have prepared a March progress report. The report covers the following topics. The report discusses the evolving floor plan in some detail and includes rationals for many of the decisions described. This report is well worth a read. Attachments 809 Military Progress Report March 25 (284 kB)